First Two Races Of The Season Has Galante Tied For Fourth Place In The Season Championship Points

Full Story Here : Jim Russell Race Of Champions




As expected, qualifying for the opening event of the Jim Russell Race of Champions was an entertaining and tight affair. In the end, California's Carlton edged Ontario's Ellis for the pole position for both races of the doubleheader. The 2008 and 2009 Jim Russell Championship Series champion Brett Smrz made a slight mistake on his best, earning the inside a position row two, alongside 2009 Jim Russell Championship series Masters champion Nick Galante for the two 25-minute races.


When the green light went off to start the racing action in race one, Carlton initially held off the advances from Ellis and Smrz. The order changed in turn two however, as Ellis dived into the lead. One lap later, Smrz was second, after Carlton spun, losing several places. Despite Smrz closing the gap, Ellis maintained a one second advantage all the way to the stripe. Behind the duo, 2009 JRCS Rookie of the Year held third place to the checkered flag, first holding off Galante, then Carlton, having charged his way back forward following his spin.

With all six racers piloting identical 300 horsepower Formula 3 equivalent FJR-50 cars, race two again featured some great side-by-side racing. Carlton and Ellis exchanged the lead multiple times on the opening lap, before Carlton was able to finally build a slight advantage due to a minor error by Ellis. Behind the lead duo, Smrz and Galante controlled third and fourth place ahead of the battling Altberg and 2009 Jim Russell Championship Series runner-up Greg Liefooghe. Running mistake free lap after lap, Carlton extended his lead to upwards of three and a half seconds, before cruising to the win over Ellis and Smrz.


“It would have been nice to take both the wins today," said Ellis. "I was really hot on my tires the entire first race, and it left me with not much for the second race, the front tires were just about done, and I had to be really aware of that. That made it a battle to keep Smrz behind me the whole race and that became my focus. I can now look forward to next month and hope to maintain my championship lead."

"These were my first ever proper races in single-seaters," commented Carlton. "I've never been behind someone or had real pressure before, so I learned a lot from the first race. I took what I learned and applied it to the second race, it was a steep learning curve, but I pulled out the win so I am happy about that. I am definitely looking forward to the next races in July."

“I put the pressure on today but couldn't quite pull it out," stated Smrz. "I've knocked the rust off and Gary Carlton and Alex Ellis had better be looking out for me next month!"

The Jim Russell Race of Champions shoot-out continues on July 9, with Rounds Three and Four once again at the renowned Infineon Raceway circuit in northern California.

No comments: